Lady Aberdeen

Lady Ishbel Aberdeen could have enjoyed the ceremonial role of the wife of the Viceroy/Lord Lieutenant of Ireland in the comfort of the vice-regal lodge, now Áras an Uachtaráin.

Instead, Lady Aberdeen engaged in varied social and political philanthropic concerns and was very influential in Irish life. Supported by her husband, she championing charitable causes, social reform, and home-grown Irish industrial development. She led a fight to eradicate the scourge of tuberculosis and promoted efforts to provide better housing for the urban poor.

Lord Aberdeen was Lord Lieutenant for approximately six months in 1886 and Lady Aberdeen identified herself with the cause of the Irish people and contributed to Lord Aberdeen's success. She promoted Irish crafts and became chairperson of the Association of Irish Industries.

During their second term in Ireland  from 1906 to 1915, she focused on healthcare and social well-being.

It is her championing of Irish lace making and her support for Mount Carmel Lace that we appreciate.


The New Ross Lace Industry:

Visit of the Countess of Aberdeen to

The Carmelites Convent

( as reported in The New Ross Standard, Saturday, February 4, 1893)

“Our readers will learn with pleasure that it is the intention of the Countess of Aberdeen to visit New Ross in a short time for the purpose of inspecting the manufacture of the famous lace which has secured for the Carmelite convent of New Ross a name of which any institution might be proud. There is no need for us to introduce the name of the Countess of Aberdeen to the people of County Wexford or to bespeak for her ladyship on her arrival an enthusiastic welcome. She is well known in this country as the wife of the first Home Rule Lord Lieutenant-the Earl of Aberdeen-whose term of office at the Castle in 1886 was such that even his political enemies regretted his departure from the metropolis. But the Countess of Aberdeen has greater claims on the Irish people than the mere fact of being the lady of the first Home Rule Lord Lieutenant. For many years she has been known as an earnest and diligent worker in the cause of fostering and promoting Irish industries, and it is in this connection that her visit to New Ross is being made. The New Ross lace has been exhibited in many parts of the United Kingdom before now, and the visit of the Countess of Aberdeen to the convent will result in it’s being exhibited at the World’s Fair in Chicago, next May, which will, of course, be of immense service to the town. The date of her ladyship’s visit is not yet known, but we feel certain that when it is made public means will be taken by the people of the town to accord to her a right royal welcome worthy of herself and her illustrious husband. The Town Commissioners, as representatives of the people, will, we are informed, take some steps to present an address to the Countess thanking her for her past efforts on behalf of the tottering Irish industries. In season and out of season she has done her best for the country and certainly she has deserved well of Ireland for her efforts. We feel assured that the patriotic people of New Ross will know how to receive her when the day arrives on which she will honour their town with her proposed visit.”

Preparations to exhibit Mount Carmel Lace at Chicago World Fair

(Report from The New Ross Standard on Saturday, February 11, 1893)

“As was suggested in our issue of last week, the Town Commissioners of New Ross are about taking steps to have an address presented to the Countess of Aberdeen, who will visit New Ross for the purpose of making arrangements to have the lace which is manufactured at the Carmelite Convent, New Ross, exhibited at the World’s Fair in Chicago next May, and also to procure the service of one of the lace-makers, who will go out and show the Yankees what the girls of little Ross can do under the supervision of the good Carmelite nuns. When writing on the subject last week we were unable to give the date of her ladyship’s visit, but on Thursday last our representative was informed by Very Rev. Dr. Kavanagh P.P New Ross that the date of her visit to New Ross will be the 21st of the present month. She will be accompanied on the occasion by her husband, the Earl of Aberdeen, the first Home Rule Lord Lieutenant under the Gladstonian administration of 1886, and also by their daughter, Lady Margery Gordon. At the weekly meeting of the Commissioners on Friday night last, the approaching visit of Lady Aberdeen was brought before the meeting by Mr. Miskella, the chairman of that body, and the following committee were appointed to see about the preparation of an address on behalf of the people:-Messers. Miskella, . David Murphy and Patrick Kennedy. On Tuesday evening when this committee met, the town clerk ( Mr. Tobin), submitted an address which was adopted, and it was decided to get it engrossed on vellum. The assistance of the town bands will be invited, and the people of the town (although it is needless to do so) will be asked to swell the demonstration and make it worthy in every way of the noble lady and her husband. It is not yet known whether Lady Aberdeen will accept the address at the railway station when she will arrive, at the hotel, or at the Carmelite convent, but in all probability the convent will be the place her ladyship will select.”

St. Mary’s Brass Band Preparations

( reported in the New Ross Standard, February 1893)

“The members of the St. Mary’s Brass Band, New Ross, are making preparations for the reception of Lady Aberdeen on her visit to their town on Tuesday 21st inst. Selection of Scotch and Irish music have been practiced by the members during the past week. They fully recognize in the Countess a kind benefactress and true friend of Ireland, and of our native industries. They intend to give her a hearty welcome. In the front of the band mounted on two steeds carrying two shields with suitable mottoes, will be two young lads, one dressed in Scotch costume, the Highland plaid, the other in Irish costume, with swallow-tailed coat and white knee- breeches. The members of the St. Mary’s Band deserve great praise for the interest they take in everything that will in any way reflect credit on their native town.”

Visit of The Countess of Aberdeen

to New Ross

Reception at the Carmelite Convent

( Excerpts from The Standard on Saturday 25 February 1893)

“On Tuesday, amidst one of the most enthusiastic outbursts of popular feeling the Earl and Countess of Aberdeen paid their promised visit to New Ross. The receptions which the distinguished party me with, during their recent tour in the West and South of Ireland, were such as should cause joy to the heart of any distinguished personage, but the reception accorded them on Tuesday by the people of New Ross was by far the most enthusiastic and hearty which the Aberdeen family have yet received, and no one was more inclined to express this opinion than was Lady Aberdeen herself, as she left the railway station in Rosbercon at the evening. The townspeople turned out en masse, and from the representatives of the people on the public boards down to the humblest person in the town, all sought to show to the Earl of Aberdeen and his Lady that the people of Ireland, and the people of the county of Wexford in particular, know how to honour and respect true friends of their country when the opportunity to do so arises. Tuesday in New Ross, with the houses beautifully decorated, spanned everywhere with triumphal arches and trees planted by the footpaths, presented the appearance of what it used to be in the early days of the land agitation, when the popular idols of that period visited the neighbourhood. Thanks to the energetic committee appointed at the meeting of the inhabitants held in the Town Hall on Saturday night the arrangements were complete by Tuesday morning. Neither expense nor exertion was spared in the matter of decorations, so that a stranger finding himself in the principal streets would imagine that it was in some fairy land he was. Thanks to the exertions of the town commissioners, the parish priest, Dr. Kavanagh, and many other prominent gentlemen in the town, everything that could be done to make the stay of the distinguished party agreeable and comfortable was done. To detail the decorations is a task not easily accomplished, so many and varied were they. The first omen of welcome to greet the eye of the Countess, as she travelled from Woodstock, was a beautiful triumphal arch, about a mile outside the town, erected by Mr. P.J. Roche , Woodville. It was most tastefully entwined with evergreens and emblazoned with coloured flags. The town council erected five arches. The first of these was in John-street, on which were hung mottoes and devices in great variety, and of a most artistic kind. The next arch spanned the end of Main -street. Several flags floated at vantage points, on the whole of which were printed mottoes of welcome. The third arch erected by the town commissioners, was at the end of the Church-lane, and was no exception to the others in point of beauty, and the fourth at the entrance to the Convent of Mount Carmel and was, if anything, superior to any of the others in splendour. Another triumphal arch spanned the centre of the bridge, where the visitors crossed as they took their departure from New Ross. Bunting was everywhere visible in the harbour, and a splendid coloured flag surmounted the clock tower of the Tholsel. The Convent of Mount Carmel was, needless to say, en fete, in every sense. Decorations, evergreens and mottoes were everywhere. Every preparation that could possibly suggest itself was made to give her a right royal welcome. The weather, though threatening in the morning, got very fine towards mid-day, and luckily, with the exception of passing clouds, continued so into the evening. It was at first thought that the Countess of Aberdeen and her party would arrive from Waterford, but this arrangement having been cancelled, the secretary to the party intimated that Lady Aberdeen would leave Dublin by the early mail train, and travel by way of Kilkenny as far as Thomastown, where she would alight, and from thense she would drive to the residence of the Hon. Lady Louisa Tighe at Woodstock, Inistioge, who is a particular friend of the Aberdeen family, and whose efforts to foster the native industries of the district in which she has lived her long life are well known-though not so widely-as those of the Countess herself. This arrangement was carried out. By the mail train arriving in Thomastown at 10.30 am, the Earl and Countess of Aberdeen arrived, and drove immediately to Woodstock in the carriage of Lady Tighe, which was in waiting at the station. It was after 11 0’clock before the party arrived at the famous demesne and residence of the Tighes, where they spent about an hour chatting with their old friend. Having had refreshments, they started for New Ross before one o’clock, and arrived in the town after two. The drive from Inistioge to New Ross was made in a carriage supplied by New Ross Town Commissioners. At the Mountgarret Ferry the first of the New Ross public met the party, but it was not until some considerable distance closer to the town that the official welcoming committee welcomed Lord and Lady Aberdeen on behalf of the people of New Ross. The St. Mary’s Brass Band left its rooms in Mary-street about one o’ clock, and having proceeded around the principal streets playing National airs, it left the town in the direction of Mountgarrett, followed by a large concourse. This was in itself a sight worth seeing. Seated on two horses and riding in front of the band were two small lads, one dressed in a suit emblematic of Scotland, with scarf, kilt and tartan plaid; the other dressed in a suit similar to that worn by Robert Emmet in the popular pictures of the dead Irish martyr, green coat, white trousers, top boots and feather and cap. The latter carried a shield with the words, “ Welcome Lady Aberdeen”, and the Scotchman’s shield bore the words, “Irish Industries”. The horses were caparisoned in Irish poplin, the “Scot’s” horse in red, and the other horse in green, with suitable mottoes on each. The sight of the carriage containing Lady Aberdeen and her party was the signal for an outburst of cheering. The band got into processional order before the carriage and commenced playing “The Bluebells of Scotland”. The New Ross Brass Band, the members wearing their uniform also took part in the demonstration, and, in conjunction with the St. Mary’s Brass Band played a nice selection of airs. The members of this band proceeded from New Ross early in the day as far as the Mountgarret Ferry and also took part in the reception which the populace gave to the Earl and Countess on the first sight of their carriage coming into view”

“The Earl and Countess bowed their acknowledgments to the crowd, and after the cheering had subsiding the procession started through the town. On the way in the Earl and Countess requested the driver and footman to come down from the box, which they mounted, in order that they might have a view of the Barrow as it flows majestically and magnificently along the valley near the town. On seeing it the Countess of Aberdeen asked were there any factories or houses of industry on the banks of such a splendid river, and the answer she received, alas, that there were not with the exception of one or two small ones. A story could have been told to her how a certain English Quaker was one in communication with a noted landlord in New Ross for a site to build a factory for the manufacture of a certain type of stuff, and when all had been settled the Quaker asked what term of years would be inserted in the lease. “ Sixty one years” , replied the landlord. “Wily man, replied the Quaker, “ my buildings would be scarcely erected at that time “, and so the opportunity to have an important manufactury established was lost by Irish landlordism. At that portion of Cherry’s Rd under Col. Carr’s seat, at “ The Rock”, the deputation was in waiting to receive the party. It consisted of The Most Rev. the Lord Bishop of Ferns, Dr. Kavanagh, P..P, Edward Miskella C.T.C., David Murphy T.C, and John M. Roche, Woodville.

“ The party on entering the town, decided to repair to the Convent of Mount Carmel, Where it was arranged to present the addresses. The reception committee met in the Tholsel shortly before two o’clock, and as the procession advanced down North-street, headed by the two bands playing suitable airs, the gentlemen assembled proceeded to the steps of the Tholsel, from whence they saluted the Earl and Countess.

“The crowds which had assembled near the Tholsel square gave a hearty cheer as the carriages arrived.”

“The streets through which the procession passed were lined by thousands of people, many coming from distant parts of the country, and the cheering, as the procession passed by, was most enthusiastic. When the visitors, accompanied by the bands and the Town Commissioners arrived at the entrance to the Carmelite Convent, there was a great crush, so eager were the public to enter and witness the presentation of the addresses and listen to the speeches. Of course, many were disappointed; yet, those who had received invitations from the nuns, as well as many who did not, succeeded in getting inside. Up the avenues, the decorations to which we have already alluded, were seen to great advantage, and the cheering of the crowds- amongst whom were many of the school children- seemed to greatly please the Countess and suite. Lord and Lady Aberdeen, with their party were received at the entrance to the convent by the Lady Superioress and the nuns of the Order of Mount Carmel, and in one of the large reception-rooms the presentation of the addresses-one from the Town Commissioners of New Ross, and the other from the girls of the lace school of the convent-took place.”

“The Lord Bishop of Ferns presided at the presentation of addresses”

The following children are named as chorus : “ Misses M. Kehoe,, M. Byrne, A. Roche, B.Roche, J. Whelan, J. Doyle, M. Dunphy, M.K. Robinson, M.E. Robinson, K Brennan, A. La Touche, K. Lawless, L. O’Neill, A. Barron, E. Whelan”


The Irish Village at the Columbian World Fair in Chicago

Previous
Previous

Monastery History

Next
Next

Lace Heritage Celebrated